Tuesday, July 01, 2003

For the last few days I've been trying to set up a Gentoo Linux installation at my house. As I only have a Pentium 200 MMX machine I've been trying to compile all of the software on my office computer, a 1.8 GHz Pentium 4, and install the resulting packages at home. I tried the stage 1 tarball, only for gcc to choke doing so; so I just tried a stage 3 tarball, with better results. However I have yet to finish compiling all the software, because 1) I tried to set up distcc so the I can use another machine I have in the office to do builds, but that hasn't worked out too well for me (I have been mucking around with the distcc settings, so I will have to play around with them some more.) and 2) I ran out of disk space. I use VMWare to make my "distro," so I won't have to do all this stuff on another machinel Hopefully this distcc and ccache thing works. I'll just let it run until tomorrow evening, burn a CD with all the packages I made, and take them home and have some fun.

No comments: